Are you looking for a tasty snack?
Something to tuck into your lunchbox or whip out as an evening snack for unexpected guests. A healthy oat slice might be simple, but it is a tasty snack you can easily prepare in minutes.
The best part is that you will not need fancy ingredients to make this snack. You can easily customise it according to your liking or what you have at home. This is a go-to snack that has been a long favourite for people of all ages.
This article will explore three healthy oat slice recipes you can try at home.
What Is An Oat Slice Recipe?
It is a classic Australian recipe we all had as snacks when we were kids. However, that does not mean we cannot enjoy it as adults. Similar to cookies but with a slightly more crumbly and crunchier texture.
Just like oatmeal cookies, it is also made with rolled oats and flour.
Tasty And Healthy Oat Slice Recipes To Try At Home
Plain Oat Slice Recipe
- Rolled oats – 1 ¼ cup
- Desiccated coconut – ½ cup
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Soft brown sugar – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Margarine unsalted – 4.5 ounces
- Unsweetened almond milk – 2 tbsps
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Maple syrup – 2 tsp
- Sultana – ¼ cup (add-on)
- Dark chocolate chips – ¼ cup
How To Prepare the Slices?
- Take a large bowl and mix all the dry ingredients, i.e. rolled oats, baking powder, flour, soft brown sugar, and the coconut.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients, including maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract, and melted margarine.
- Now, add the wet ingredients slowly into the dry ingredients and stir in properly to break down all lumps. Finally, fold in the Sultanas at last.
- Set the temperature to 180°C to preheat the oven, and line a slice pan with parchment paper. It would be better to oil the parchment paper slightly before setting it into the pan.
- Pour the mixture into the slice pan and back it on the centre rack for half an hour until it turns golden brown. Check the centre with a toothpick; if it comes out clean, take the pan out of the oven.
- Avoid overbaking the mixture, as the slice would become crumbly and dry.
- Let it cool down before cutting the pieces. Then, store the leftover healthy oat slices in an airtight container and keep them in your fridge. You can store these slices for up to three days.
Chocochip Oat Slice
- Melted butter or margarine for greasing the baking pan
- Plain flour – ½ cup or 75g
- Self-raising flour – ½ cup or 75g
- Rolled oats – 1 cup or 90g
- Desiccated coconut – ⅔ cup or 70g
- Sultanas – ⅔ cup or 130g
- Brown sugar, firmly packed – ⅔ cup or 140g
- Milk chocolate bits – ½ cup or 95g
- Melted and cooled butter – 125g
- Egg lightly whisked – 1
How To Make The Chocoip Slices?
- Take a large mixing bowl and sift all the flour into it. Next, add the sugar, coconut, oats, sultanas, chocolate bits, and milk and combine them well until there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Next, add the egg and melted butter to the mix. Use a wooden spoon to fold these ingredients into the mixture carefully.
- Set the mixture aside and preheat the oven to 180°C. Take a slab or slice pan and grease it with melted butter. The pan can also be lined and based on parchment paper.
- Pour the mixture into the pan gently with the help of a wooden spoon and bake it for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Wait till the mixture becomes firm on touch and takes a golden brown hue. Then, insert a toothpick in the middle to check if the centre is baked correctly.
- Once done, remove the pan from the oven and let it cool down. Then, cut the slice and enjoy it as a wholesome snack.
The best part of healthy oat slices is that it is a no-fuss recipe that can be given any spin you like. The recipes covered in the article are the basic ones where you can add your twist.
All in all, it is a wholesome, healthy snack that you can make at home and enjoy anytime, anywhere.